Meet Dr. Hurd
Dr. David Hurd was born and raised in Monroe, LA. He grew up playing sports. including football, basketball, baseball, and soccer. He also swam and waterboarded in the bayou when he was younger. As Dr. Hurd grew older, he specialized in football and basketball and played those sports in high school, helping his team go to the Football State Championship game.
Dr. Hurd graduated from West Monroe High school in May 2009 with an academic scholarship and a walk-on offer for football to the University of Arkansas. He made the SEC Honor Roll, President’s List, and Dean’s List in the Fall of 2009. After 3 years of working his way up the depth chart, Dr. Hurd was given a full athletic scholarship and became the starting left tackle for the Razorbacks for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. He was selected to the Preseason All-SEC team, given the Coaches’ Appreciation Award, and awarded the Brandon Burlsworth Scholarship in 2013.
After his time at Arkansas, Dr. Hurd signed as an undrafted free agent to the Miami Dolphins. He was eventually released by the Dolphins. Once Dr. Hurd came back to Fayetteville, he decided to pursue a degree in Optometry. He was accepted into the Northeastern State University Oklahoma College of Optometry.
During the summers before school and after his first year of optometry school, he helped coach high school offensive linemen at the Arkansas Razorback Summer Football Camps. During Dr. Hurd's 3rd year in school, he served as the Sports Vision Liaison to the American Optometric Association. He also won the National Optometry Student Bowl, a quiz bowl competing against the best students in the country from different optometry schools. Dr. Hurd was part of the Beta Sigma Kappa Honor Society for all 4 years of Optometry school. He graduated from Optometry school in 2019. Dr. Hurd has now married to his college sweetheart. He will be serving as an Optometrist for Vold Vision specializing in Sports Vision.
College of Optometry
Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
Doctor of Optometry
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
Bachelor of Arts Degree
NSUOCO, NSU clinic and Cherokee Hospitals, Tahlequah, OK January 2017-present
- Primary Care
- Ocular Disease- Glaucoma, Specialty Care, Electrodiagnostics, Surgery, Diabetic Clinic, Disease Clinic, Walk-in
- Pediatrics and Infant Vision
- Vision Therapy
- Dispensary and Spectacle fabrication
- Low Vision
- Research project - comparing athletes to nonathletes using Sanet Vision Integrator
- Assisted with classmates’ research project – sports vision training
- Student ambassador
- Passed Parts I, 2, and 3 of NBEO
NSUOCO, AOSA, Tahlequah, OK June 2017-June 2018
- Liaison to Sports Vision Section
University of Arkansas, Arkansas Razorbacks, Fayetteville, AR July 2016 and 2015
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach for High School Football Camps
Luxottica Retail, Lenscrafters, Fayetteville, AR February 2015-present
- Lab Tech
- Casual part time - up to 25 hours per week while in school and up to 45 hours on breaks
- Manufacturing and marketing spectacles
National Football League, Miami Dolphins, Miami, FL May 2014
- Signed as undrafted free agent: Offensive Tackle
Collegiate Student-Athlete, Football: University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 2009-2013
- NCAA Division I: Competitive collegiate student-athlete, Offensive Tackle
- Medal of Honor Bowl at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina as Offensive Tackle, 2014
- NCAA Southeastern Conference Honor Roll, 2009
- Scholar Student-Athlete
- Invited to walk-on as a member of the Razorbacks football team in Summer, 2009
- Awarded Full Athletic Scholarship in Summer of 2012
- Starting Razorback Offensive Tackle for 2012 and 2013 Football Seasons
- Razorback Football Team received invitations to Liberty Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and Cotton Bowl, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Selected to the Coaches’ All-SEC Pre-Season Team as Offensive Lineman for 2013
- Recipient of Coaches’ Appreciation Award at Senior Banquet, 2013
- Recognized as Brandon Burlsworth Scholar Athlete, 2013
Honors & Awards
- National Optometry Student Bowl Winner, 2018
- NSUOCO Optometry Student Bowl Winner, 2018
- Current cumulative 3.88 GPA for optometry school
- Awarded a travel grant to Optometry’s Meeting 2017,2018
- Awarded a travel grant to COVD 2017
- Beta Sigma Kappa International Optometry Honor Society
- President’s List, Earned 4.0 GPA in Fall Semester, 2009
- Dean’s List, Earned 4.0 GPA in Fall Semester, 2009
- Graduated with Honors, Earned 21 college credit hours while in high school; GPA and ACT scores qualified for Academic Scholarship to University of Arkansas, 2009
- Member of National Honor Society, 2008, 2009
- Second Team All-District Honors, 2008
- Runner-Up for Louisiana State 5A Championship, 2008
- Arkansas Football team handed out food for the local homeless shelter
- Presented inspirational speech at Lincoln Elementary School about following your dreams and getting an education
- Participated in providing eye exams for Special Olympic athletes 2017
- Play 60 for Miami Dolphins, encouraged children to be active and healthy
- Cleaned up a veteran’s home for Miami Dolphins
- Practice and raise my family in Northwest Arkansas. I moved to Fayetteville in May 2009. I met my wife, Rachel Hurd, who was born and raised in Farmington. All of her family lives here and we love this area and plan on living and raising our family here.
- I would love to coach my children’s little league teams in sports. I also think that would be a good way to reach out to the community.
"I am a new patient and I chose Dr. David Hurd for my eye exam. David is a Christian and we became friends through our church. David did an outstanding job on my exam! He is very patient and kind and always has a great smile. I would recommend Dr. Hurd. He took the time to explain what was going on with my eyes and recommendations. He walked me through the office and introduced me to the lady who would be fitting me for glasses. I never felt rushed. This office is beautiful, comfortable and the equipment id state of the art. Dr. Hurd is a former Arkansas Razorback Football Player and also played for the NFL Miami Dolphins. He is a tall strong dude! I am proud to call him my friend as well as my new Dr.i also want to mention Presley who is my Optometric Tech. She was amazing, good at her job. She new how to do every test and kept talking with me and explaining each test. Very, very nice young woman. I really appreciate staff that are knowledgeable and customer focused. She made me feel like family and I was a new patient. I will definitely request her the next time I come in!"
"Our entire family has seen Dr. Hurd and was very impressed with him. In addition we all got glasses from Tresa and we couldn't be more pleased. They are both very professional, kind, and just a pleasure to see. Recommend them to all!"
"This is the best eye doctor appointment I’ve ever had. Starting with the ladies at the front desk, they were very welcoming and cheerful. I was taken back by an assistant named Presley. She was absolutely wonderful! She was sweet, kind and very thorough. She listened and related well even as my somewhat lengthy medical history was confusing. Dr. Hurd was nice and was able to get my prescription better than previous doctors. Barb was my check out person and, again, I was pleasantly surprised. She was great and answered all my questions. She personally walked me over to their glasses department so I could see what glasses were in my budget. But there was no pressure to buy. GREAT!"
"Everyone was very nice and accommodating from the time I called to make the appointment to picking up my appointment card for my next visit. Dr. Hurd is now my eye doctor!"
"This place is amazing! I cannot believe that after only being a week out, that my vision is already 20/15! Dr. Hurd, Presley, & John were so helpful & made me feel at ease! I highly recommend Vold Vision! It’s such a blessing to wake up everyday & be able to see without messing with glasses or contacts! Thank you Vold Vision!"